TOWN OF STARK, NH
Select Board Meeting Minutes
Thursday June 1, 2023
Stark Town Office
Call to Order
Select Board Chair, Doug Shannon, called the meeting to order at 6 pm.
Persons Present for All or Part of the Entire Meeting
Select Board Members: Doug Shannon, Glenn Wiggin, Lisa Demers; Office Manager, Patty Peel
Jim Walsh, Ray Perkins, Bill Joyce, Elaine Monahan, Rodney Monahan, Stephan Gilman, Carl Coulombe, Bob Gale, Sean Donahue, Ron Boivin
Read and approve minutes from previous meeting---May 17 & May 22, 2023
Motion made by Doug Shannon to waive reading of minutes and approve as written, 2nd by Glenn Wiggin
Sign Yield Tax
Yield Tax Warrant signed.
Treasurer’s Report Signed
Treasurer, Rodney Monahan, recommended transferring money from Unassigned Fund Balance into CD, where it would get an increased return on interest.
Motion by Glenn Wiggin to have Rodney explore Service Credit Union interest rate and get back to Select Board via email; Board will make decision via email. 2nd Lisa Demers. Motion Passed
Stephan Gilman reported on fires at Christine Lake over the weekend. Discussion regarding billing individuals responsible for open fires on public land. The Fire Department will write SOP relative to billing individuals when the SFVD responds to open fire calls on public land; this should include notifying State Police.
Transfer Station Report
Stephan Gilman updated Select Board on condition of transfer station; will need to get with the SVFD to organize a burn of the “burn pile” soon.
Road Agent/Highway Report
Ron Boivin, Road Agent, reported sweeping of Town Roads is almost done. White worked 30 hours and is done; Percy Road and Bell Hill still need sweeping. Discussion about renting a sweeper to finish up. Chloride has not yet arrived; Ron will spread as soon as he gets the chloride.
Cemetery Trustee Report
Discussion with Cemetery Trustee, Bill Joyce, about responsibility for tree removal. Trustees will be responsible for tree removal and continue to work on the fence.
Meeting with Ed Stanley from Central Paving on June 7th at 4 pm about paving driveway; Select Board invited to meeting.
· Auto Liability Claim/Primex
o Select Board provided letter from Primex
o Lisa Demers mentioned having insurance certificates naming Stark as additionally insured and W9 on file when contracting with outside contractors. She would also like us to look at written contracts between the Town and outside contractors.
· Trustees of Trust Fund Training
o Scheduled for June 8th, 2023, at 6 pm at the Town Office
New Business/Other Business
· Profile Technologies Multi Factor Authentication
o Patty provided information to Select Board
o Glenn talked about looking into other IT providers prior to next contract
· Employee Vacation
o Patty Peel provided Board with information about her July vacation. Town Clerk covered by the Deputy; Selectman’s Office will be closed Tuesday, July 18, 2023.
· Employment Security Transfer Station Assistant
o Select Board would like to advertise Transfer Station position with Employment Security
· Bill Joyce----Pew Owners---Asking permission to close bridge on July 6th so a wedding can take place; Glenn asked if police would be available; not opposed but feels need police presence; dispatch needs to be notified; need to run ad in paper; Bill will let Patty know final decision of Pew Owner; Town will run ad and Pew Owners repay Town.
· Stephan Gilman----Bridge Dances----Board Approved for Friday June 23, July 28, August 19, 2023. Need police coverage; Stephan takes care of advertisement----cost and placing advertisements. Stephan will fill out raffle permit for 50/50 to benefit Fire Department Association.
· Ray Perkins asked the Board where they were with his suggestion that all Town employees have criminal background checks. Select Board member, Lisa Demers, will draft a policy relative to this suggestion.
· Ray Perkins discussed interest rates on delinquent taxes; interest rates are set by Dept. of Revenue not the Town.
· Glenn Wiggin mentioned that Bill and Debbie Joyce planted flowers, cost coming out of Patriotic Fund; Bill mentioned that Debbie will plant at the General John Stark Park.
· Road Agent, Ron Boivin, submitted a bill for service to the new plow truck. Lights still need servicing; Ron will get looked at by Berlin City.
Motion to enter Nonpublic Session made by Doug Shannon seconded by Lisa Demers. Motion Passed
Specific Statutory Reason cited as foundation for the nonpublic employee:
XRSA 91-A:3, II (a) The dismissal, promotion, or compensation of any public employee or the disciplining of such employee, or the investigation of any charges against him or her, unless the employee affected (1) has a right to a public meeting, and (2) requests that the meeting be open in which case the request shall be granted.
Entered nonpublic session at 7:08 pm
Motion to leave nonpublic session and return to public session by Lisa Demers, seconded by Doug Shannon. Motion Passed Public session reconvened at7:48a.m. / p.m.
Motion made to seal these minutes made by Lisa Demers, seconded by Glenn Wiggin, because it is determined that divulgence of this information likely would affect adversely the reputation of any person other than a member of this board. Motion Passed
Motion to adjourn made by Glenn Wiggin, 2nd by Doug Shannon. Meeting adjourned at 7:50 pm.
Patricia S. Peel, Office Manager
_________________________________ Date Approved: ____________________
Douglas Shannon, Chair
Glenn Wiggin Lisa Demers
NEXT SELECT BOARD MEETING SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 14, 2023, AT 6 PM STARK TOWN HALL
· NEXT SELECT BOARD MEETING SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 21, 2023, AT 6 PM STARK TOWN HALL
· PLANNING BOARD MEETING SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 21, 2023, AT 7 PM STARK TOWN HALL