TOWN OF STARK, NH
Select Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday September 6, 2023
Stark Town Office
Call to Order
Select Board Chair, Glenn Wiggin, called the meeting to order at 6 pm.
Persons Present for All or Part of the Entire Meeting
Select Board Members: Glenn Wiggin, Lisa Demers, Jim Walsh; Office Manager, Patty Peel
Rodney Monahan, Jim Hickey, Crystal Pelletier, Ray Perkins, Kathy Kelley, Bob Gale,
Read and approve minutes from previous meeting—September 5, 2023
Select Board Chair, Glenn Wiggin, made a motion to waive reading of minutes, 2nd Lisa Demers
Motion Passed Unanimously
Sign Checks & Manifest 36 $12661.03
Signed Checks & Manifest 36.
Sign Pistol Permit
Signed Pistol Permit
Select Board discussed the having Ron Boivin purchase salt in preparation for winter.
Glenn Wiggin, SB Chairman, reminded SB that the Cemetery Trustees oversee the cemeteries and should be making decisions on all work done in the cemeteries.
Select Board discussed budget for roadside mowing. Planning for next year, an increase should be considered. Also talked about options for saving money on mowing; idea of Town purchasing a Bush Hog and using our own employees to complete some of the mowing was discussed as a possibility.
- Bob Gale—Alternative Energy Report
- Bob Gale has been gathering information on alternative energy opportunities from Androscoggin Valley Energy Collaborative (AVEC), at the request of the Select Board. Kathy Kelley, from AVEC, presented an opportunity for the Town to join AVEC as a default energy supplier in Stark, with an opt in/opt out option for the municipality, businesses, and residents. Kathy will provide the SB with more information for consideration.
- Joint Loss Committee Appointment—-Ray Perkins volunteered to serve on the Joint Loss Committee.
- Unlicensed Dogs—Town Clerk, Patty Peel, shared a list of unlicensed dogs to the SB. At the Board’s request, Patty will send one more letter to owners of unlicensed dogs prior to contacting the Sheriffs’ Department about serving a Civil Forfeiture Notice.
- OHRV Ordinance
- Lisa Demers made a motion to accept Town of Stark, NH, Off Highway Recreational Vehicle Ordinance as received by James Walsh 2nd by Glenn Wiggin Motion Passed Unanimously
- Revised MS-1 signed by Board; MS-1 revised due to error with Veterans’ Credits.
- Emerson Road Stop Sign
- Lisa Demers made a motion to put a stop sign at Northside/Emerson Road Island on the west side of the triangle. 2nd by Glenn Wiggin Motion Passed Unanimously
- Wireless Panic
- Glenn Wiggin made a motion to use Kevin Lufkin to use panic buttons as he seems necessary and to contract him for monitoring of the panic buttons. 2nd Jim Walsh Motion Passed Unanimously
- NHMA Budget Workshop
- September 19th in Littleton, NH; Glenn Wiggin will attend, Lisa Demers will get back to Patty regarding registration. Jim Walsh would like Patty Peel to see if an online opportunity is available.
- Junk Vehicle Complaint—-SB discussed a complaint regarding a property with many junk cars on Emerson Road. Glenn Wiggin will bring information back to the board on junk yards.
- Rodney Monahan will take care of getting Jim Walsh’s name added to the Passumpsic account so he can sign checks.
- Glenn Wiggin talked about the Town hiring someone who could help at Transfer Station and possibly some other odd jobs around Town such as maintenance to equipment.
- Glenn Wiggin shared information gather about the Leighton Meadow Bridge. Glen spoke with an individual from the State who estimates the cost of bridge replacement/repair to be at least 1.5 million dollars. Grant money at the State level is limited, possibly some federal funding available. Lisa has contacted the Army Corps of Engineers regarding a Bailey Bridge and is waiting to hear back from them.
- Library Trustee, Kate Gomes, resigned; Lisa Demers made a motion to accept resignation, 2nd by Jim Walsh Motion passed unanimously.
- Jim Walsh asked if department heads might be asked to attend meetings once a month to give reports, as we are nearing the end of the year.
- Jim Walsh made a motion to notify all department heads that they should be at the 1st Select Board meeting of each month to give department reports (Transfer Station, Highway, Fire Department, Cemetery, Library). 2nd by Lisa Demers Motion passed unanimously.
Glenn Wiggin made a motion to adjourn at 7:52 pm, 2nd Jim Walsh; motion passed unanimously.
*Select Board Meeting September 12, 2023 6 pm Stark Town Hall (Transfer Station Operating Plan)
*Select Board Meeting September 20, 2023 6 pm Stark Town Hall
*Planning Board Meeting September 20, 2023 7 pm Stark Town Hall
Patricia S. Peel, Office Manager
Glenn Wiggin, Select Board Chairman Date Approved
Lisa Demers, Select Board Member Jim Walsh, Select Board Member