TOWN OF STARK, NH
Select Board Meeting Agenda
Wednesday November 1, 2023
Stark Town Office
Call to Order
Select Board Chair, Glenn Wiggin, called the meeting to order at 6 pm.
Persons Present for All or Part of the Entire Meeting
Select Board Members: Glenn Wiggin, Lisa Demers, Jim Walsh; Office Manager, Patty Peel
Jim Hickey, Elaine Monahan, Rodney Monahan, Cheryl Nolan, Stephan Gilman, Dennis Lunn, Bob Gale
Read and approve minutes from previous meeting— October 18, 23 & 24, 2023.
Select Board Chair, Glenn Wiggin, made a motion to waive reading of minutes, 2nd Jim Walsh
Motion Passed Unanimously
Correction to Minutes of October 24, 2023: UFB amount written as $100,00.00 should be $100,000.
Sign Checks & Manifest 44 Totaling $2730.46
SB signed checks & manifest 44.
Sign Heritage Checks & Manifest 27 Totaling $24.65
SB signed Heritage Center checks & manifest 27.
Sign September Treasurer’s Report
SB signed treasurer’s report for September.
Sign Property Tax Warrant in the amount of $880,841.00
SB signed Tax Warrant for $880,841.00.
Highway: Glenn Wiggin updated SB on repairs to the red, one-ton dump truck.
Transfer Station: Stephan Gilman shared that roof over trailer is about half done.
- Percy Landfill Update: Glenn Wiggin reached out to DES about volunteers mowing; volunteers can mow but Town is liable for whatever happens. If Town cannot get mowed or needs to alter the plan for another reason, an incident report explaining that the Town is altering the plan must be filed with DES.
- Ambulance: Glenn Wiggin reached out to Berlin EMS, Scott Leads. Berlin EMS will get back to the SB with a description of services they can offer Stark and at what cost to the Town.
- Contract for Appraisal/Consulting Services— Patty Peel provided information she had on the contract with Riff as the expert witness for PSNH appeals. SB would like to further review information.
- Jim Walsh made a motion to request more time from Upton and Hatfield, prior to signing on with Riff, based on the fact that the first SB meeting following the date of the letter was held on November 1; 7 days from date of letter is not a reasonable amount of time to make decisions. 2nd by Glenn Wiggin Motion Passed Unanimously
- Stark Village School Principal, Kate Landry, requested keys to the Town Hall as an emergency location if SVS needed to be evacuated. After lengthy discussion, the SB would like to see the emergency plan for the school and the Town. Patty Peel will contact school and Colin Wentworth, the EMD for Town of Stark.
- Budget: Patty Peel presented Select Board with a budget worksheet she suggests using to prepare department budgets. Jim Walsh made a motion to get the budget worksheet to each department head and request it back by November 15, 2023, 2nd by Glenn Wiggin. Motion Passed Unanimously.
- Lisa Demers asked Stephan Gilman about Transfer Station Permit; Stephan has heard nothing from the DES.
- DOT permits for paving were received at the Town Office and forwarded to Central Paving. Patty Peel talked with Central Paving; they hope to complete the paving this week.
- Lisa Demers present SB with a draft warrant from AVEC, to possibly use in Town warrant if SB so chooses to move forward with AVEC. SB discussed the possibility of an informational meeting prior to the Town Meeting.
- Covered Bridge Use Policy: Select Board discussed changes, recommended by Lisa Demers, to the Covered Bridge Use Policy & the Facility/Premises License Agreement. Patty Peel will make changes as discussed and bring a draft back to the SB.
- Lisa Demers reported a concern regarding a tree next to the driveway at 590 Percy Road. SB discussed; Lisa will contact railroad as she feels if the tree fell it would impact tracks, she will also contact Stark Road Agent, Ron Boivin.
- Stephan Gilman reported that his TS Operator certification expires on November 7th; Stephan has an email from Concord that he can continue to operate until he receives his recertification in the mail.
- Bob Gale updated the SB on the roadside mowing he completed in Cloutier Estates.
Non-Public (If Necessary)
RSA 91-A:3, II (a) The dismissal, promotion, or compensation of any public employee or the
disciplining of such employee, or the investigation of any charges against him or her, unless the
employee affected (1) has a right to a public meeting, and (2) requests that the meeting be open,
in which case the request shall be granted.
Motion to enter nonpublic session made by Glenn Wiggin seconded by Jim Walsh. Motion carried.
Select Board entered nonpublic session at 7:32 pm.
Motion to leave nonpublic session and return to public session by Jim Walsh, 2nd by Glenn Wiggin. Motion Passed.
Public Session reconvened at 8:24 pm.
Jim Walsh made a motion to seal the nonpublic minutes, 2nd by Lisa Demers, because it is determined that divulgence of the information would likely adversely affect the reputation of any person other than a member of the Select Board. Motion Carried.
Motion to adjourn by Glenn Wiggin, 2nd by Lisa Demers. Motion Carried.
Meeting adjourned at 8:25 pm
Patricia S. Peel, Office Manager
Glenn Wiggin, Select Board Chairman Date Approved
Lisa Demers, Select Board Member Jim Walsh, Select Board Member
*Select Board Meeting November 15, 2023, 2023 6 pm Stark Town Hall
*Planning Board Meeting November 8, 2023, 6 pm Stark Town Hall